Great Gable & Kirk Fell

A Lake District Classic. With an approach from Wasdale Head, Great Gable and Kirk Fell was the objective. I ascended Kirk Fell by its SSW ridge. Wainwright describes this line as ‘a relentless and unremitting treadmill, a turf clutching crawl, not a walk’. Despite the steepness of the path, however, the surrounding views are stunning.

From the summit of Kirk Fell, I dropped down to a col and ascended Great Gable by its NW ridge. A cloud inversion had formed when I arrived at the summit. I then descended Great Gable by its SW ridge and tried to find Napes Needle, with no success. I ended up descending very steep scree slopes, which eventually dropped onto the Moses path and back to Wasdale Head. This route, overall, is definitely a three star classic and is thoroughly recommended.

Photobucket
The summit of Great Gable

Photobucket
Cloud inversion viewed from the summit of Great Gable

Photobucket
The view towards Buttermere

Photobucket
Kirk Fell