Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks

The weather forecast for the western fells was good, and so I decided to climb Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks.

The descent drive into Buttermere, along Honister Pass, reminded me somewhat vividly of Llanberis Pass. The topography is almost identical, with Honister Pass being less craggy higher up.

I began from Gatesgarth Farm with a ridge climb up Fleetwith Pike. The ascent up Fleetwith Pike could eloquently be described as an expanding vista. Luckily, I had clear views, and it was definitely an enriching experience. From the summit of Fleetwith Pike, the path descends to an old mining tramway and, should you wish to cut the day short, there is a descent into Warnscale Beck back to Gatesgarth Farm.

I continued on and ascended Hay Stacks. It was late in the afternoon and I had the summit to myself. The panoramic views from the summit were memorable. Wainwright stated that ‘for beauty, variety and interesting detail, for sheer fascination and unique individuality, the summit area of Haystacks is Supreme.’ I agree, Haystacks is Sovereign!

From Haystacks, I descended wearily back to Gatesgarth Farm via Scarth Gap Pass. I definitely recommend an ascent of Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks, which should be saved for a clear day.

Photobucket
The view from Fleetwith Pike

Photobucket
The summit of Haystacks

Photobucket
Fleetwith Pike viewed from Haystacks