Single Pitch Award (SPA) Training

I’ve recently completed Single-Pitch Award (SPA) training with Phill George. The main emphasis was safety and good practice. It was a compact two days, which left me both physically and mentally tired, but overall I was very impressed with the instruction received. All the people on the course were very friendly and I look forward to climbing with everyone soon. 

During the course I met Millicent, who, it turns out, happens to live in the same student accommodation as me. In order to try and consolidate some of the skills we learned from the training, both Millicent and I headed to Dinorwig Slate Quarry this afternoon and climbed in the Serengeti and Sidings area of the Quarry. The weather was initially dull, but the sun eventually burned through to leave a sunny afternoon/evening.

The view from the Sidings

The view from the Sidings

*A single pitch crag is an ideal place to introduce novices to rock climbing, without the added pressure that may be experienced on multi-pitch climbs or sea cliff climbs.