Cheshire Sandstone

I’ve always wondered why there are so many straps on the latest bouldering pads. My rucksack and tripod fitted snugly inside my pad, which was then weighted onto my back. It was a 1hr cycle to Harmer’s Wood. 

Most of the climbs that I have been on recently have been climbed in wet conditions. This has involved the process of wiping the holds, patting them with chalk, and, in some instances, filling monos with compressed chalk balls. Perseverance is key and it has certainly paid dividends quite recently. 

Today, however, the conditions were good and the rock was dry. The air was cold and nice to breathe in. Perfect. You’d expect to climb well in these conditions.

The route I was working on was going well. I had unlocked the crux moves only to then discover that if I made the final move the pad below wouldn’t protect me should I fall. I was caught in two minds - Do I go for it and make the final move or do I wait until I have my other two bouldering pads with me? 

It was a long cycle home. I did however, as a consolation, enjoy coasting down Primrose Lane (a long, steep hill that flattens out gradually before meeting the main road). With the weight of both the rucksack and bouldering pad on my back, the brakes on my bike were ineffective as I meandered down the hill. The air was cold and brushed against my face. It felt good to be outside.