Carreg Wastad, Llanberis Pass

The battle was not over and so I went back for more. Today, however, the wind had dropped and with the sun continuing to shine, it made for a pleasant experience.

Hank and I started on Crackstone Rib, a three-star classic route that takes an exposed arĂȘte. For the grade of severe it is enjoyable climbing, with neatly spaced protection, occasional loose rock, and only a few polished footholds. After leading the first pitch of Crackstone Rib, I belayed Hank up and he led through to finish the route. After coiling the ropes at the top of the route, Hank and I walked back down to the bottom of the crag and had a break.

After a few nibbles of chocolate, it was time to climb another route. I suggested Trilon to Hank, and he agreed, and so we went for that. Hank led the first pitch, which climbs a short wall on reasonable holds with adequate protection. I then led the second pitch, which was good climbing and finished off a very enjoyable day. 

Hank, pitch 2, Trilon,
Carreg Wastad, Llanberis Pass

The arete of Crackstone Rib,
15th November 2011